Saturday, August 26, 2006

Celibacy is not a four letter word

I started this blog to begin a discussion among those of us who have chosen to be celibate.

In a world that smashes sexual imagery into our faces 24/7, it's hard to be a celibate and not thought crazy, dysfunctional, weird, stupid, passionless, etc., by the masses.

I'm 47 and have been celibate now for a year. Actually, I've been celibate since the fall of 2004, except for a few silly months of experimentation during the summer of 2005, which further increased by desire for celibacy.

I have a lot to say on this topic, but I hope to hear from the rest of the celibates out there who have reached the same decision I have.

So, let's start the discussion with this question:

Why did you decide to become celibate?

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Justice said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm looking forward to keeping up with your blog. Great question.

I've been celibate for almost a year now, although I had past periods where I was committed to the practice. For me, the motivation is spiritual: the Bible teaches that singles have a greater availability to gain intimacy with God. I chose to become celibate because I believe that Christ satisfies completely, and so given the choice between marriage or more of Christ, I choose Christ! You can read more about my views, along with some lively comment-discussion, at BiblicalCelibacy.com

August 27, 2006 12:02 AM  
Blogger Josh Justice said...

Incidentally, where in Atlanta is your son a chef? I'm from there and visit frequently.

August 27, 2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger geekygurl said...

Hi, Josh.

Thanks for your post on my blog. My choice to be celibate is due in no small part to wanting a more spiritual experience in my life too. My practice is more meditative, a discipline I've been practicing now for more than 18 years, and I like the idea of pouring my energy into other pursuits which the sex act often drains from us.

There is more to say on this topic, and I'm sure we'll do that as this blog progesses.

BTW, my son's name is Josh! He works at Wahoo's in Atlanta. The web address is:

Wahoo! A Decatur Grill

Check it out next time you are in town.

August 27, 2006 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home